With the rising adoption of cloud technologies in the world, Devops has been key in enhancing efficiencies in development and operations. Studies show that the DevOps market is to reach close to $13 billion by 2025.
DevOps being considered as a journey and not a destination, a shift in culture and not technology, let’s take a look at what the future holds.
- There will be rising popularity and demand for microservices architecture
Microservices provide a cloud native architectural framework in which a single application comprises small independently deployable services that are loosely coupled. A combination of DevOps and microservices will save your organization on cost,resources and time. Enterprises that have already adopted the microservices architecture include Twitter,ebay, amazon, netflix, paypal just to name a few.
Below are some of the main benefits of microservices architecture.
- Microservices are very scalable and flexible.
- Can be managed by relatively smaller teams.
- Highly customizable to suit business needs.
- Microservices can be deployed easily and independently.
- It is easier to find and fix bugs in microservices.
- There is improved communication between involved teams.
- Improve agility through AgileOps
Within the past few years there has been a hybrid and multi-cloud trend to enhance business success and growth. This approach brings about flexibility and freedom to host applications as per business requirements.
AgileOps works on an IT operating model that uses proven agile principles to develop and improve agile ways of working.
What are the benefits of AgileOps?
- There is better team integration and elimination of delays.
- Significant cost reduction.
- Increased productivity.
- Higher speed in deployment.
- Minimised errors.
- There will be an increase in DevSecOps adoption
DevSecOps-Development, security and operations emphasizes thinking about development in mind at every stage of SDLC. This includes automated scanning of third party libraries being used. Businesses are set to adopt DevSecOps to ensure there is early detection of vulnerabilities and agile security measures are in place.DevSecOps is built on the belief that speed and security should go hand in hand and should work harmoniously.
With DevSecOps in mind, the following benefits will be experienced.
- The team will experience agility and improvement in security.
- The process is more adaptive and repeatable.
- Software deployment and delivery becomes more rapid and cost effective.
- There is early detection and mitigation of vulnerabilities.
- Increase in infrastructure as code(IAC)
Infrastructure as code is the management of infrastructure in a descriptive model using configuration files. This includes networks, servers, storage devices. IaC is a key DevOps practice that is set to have an upward trend as it provides efficiency, accountability and consistency in infrastructure provisioning.
Some of the best practices for IaC include: make infrastructure code modular, using version control, minimize documentation, code everything.
Some of the key advantages that will move more companies to adopt Iac are:
- There is rapid recovery
- Speedy set up of the infrastructure by just running scripts.
- By using config files, there is a single source of truth and reduced mistakes caused by humans.
- Scalability and standardization as these configurations can be redeployed more than once without discrepancies.
- Lowering of costs through automation of tasks.
- Automated workflows that enhance efficiency and accuracy.
- AiOps and Self-healing
As the days go by, infrastructure is becoming more complex and there is increased metadata generated. This makes it difficult for the operations teams to consume and extract data that can be used to help in diagnosis and problem resolution. AiOps tools are designed to use predictive analytics to prevent a problem before it actually occurs. AiOps helps by automatically detecting problems from the logs and metrics generated.
Once problems are identified based on historical data collected, Aiops suggests the best approach to accurately remediate the problem.
AiOps comes with the following advantages.
- Intelligent alerting.
- Probable root cause identification automatically.
- Automated remediation.
- Reduced downtime that is unplanned for.
- Quick software delivery with better quality.
- GitOps usage will be on the rise.
GitOps is a set of practices that help developers to perform tasks that fall under the purview of IT operations for infrastructure automation.
GitOps requires three core components: Infrastructure as Code, Merge requests and Continuous Integration/continuous Delivery.
Organizations are finding GitOps useful in tracking drift in infrastructure and doing emergency rollbacks that have minimal disruption to users.
GitOps uses the following principles:
- Declarative description of a system
- Make changes through a pull request
- Have software agents to alert you when reality doesn’t match expectations.
Some of the advantages of GitOps include:
- There is higher reliability.
- Stronger security guarantees.
- Consistency and standardization.
- GitOps increases productivity.
- Developer Experience is enhanced.
- There is improved stability.
In this article we have gone through some of the trends expected to make the most impact in DevOps culture shift. DevOps will continue to grow and we will continue seeing even more new exciting technologies in the near future.
Happy Cloud computing -:)